New swap Old


Since 2011 HKT has been building the new all-metal trams, with outlines quite similar to the present wooden trams.  Following the new numbers 171, 173, 174 and 175 the subsequent newers are taking the numbers of those being withdrawn.  Up to September 2012 fourteen newers have been built.

A funny comparison showing the old 157 and new 157, same place (Western Market) and same neighbour car 171.

Remains of 157 after dismantling, whilst new 157 had been in service for three months.

Another interesting view showing two identical no.1″s”, the new-built green one is near completion whilst the old 1 being discarded.

Clarifying myths


Owing to “Ding Ding” well-known to foreigners and tram lovers, we have to clarify and expose some myths spread by a tram club in Hong Kong.

1. Prior to enclosed top tram there were canvas roof fitted in 1913 and wooden roof, pictured, fitted in 1923. Instead, the date for enclosed top tram should be year 1925. The current wooden trams were new-built in 1987-1991.

2. Myths in company dates – “Electric Traction Co.” had once renamed “Hongkong Tramway Company Limited” prior to “Hongkong Tramways Limited”, which incorporated in 1922.

3. The current 120 dates back 1949 is ridiculous. It’s a replica new-built in 1991 preserving the heritage 1949s style.

4. In annotating the public transport’s name, KCR being wrongly edited as “Kowloon-Cantaon Railway Limited”.

5. In an exhibition of tram stuffs, comparing with the real one “Kennedy Town” we don’t understand why that one was in blue background.

In a media interview, the club chairman emphasized the danger of heritage preservation, and said he can’t accept no tram books being found in HK, in fact “Amazing Ding Ding” has published in June prior to his.
Heritage is important. Those who ignore or mislead could not last for long.
其次,該會出版的《香港電車百年情》“A Centenary Date with Hong Kong Tramways”錯誤內容如下。
書中「1910年電車公司正式更名Hong Kong Tramways Limited」是錯誤。這個名稱在1922年才正式確立,而早期的「香港電車局」及1910年的Hongkong Tramway Company Limited該書全略。
3.引述其他交通機構名稱中,KCR全名寫成Kowloon-canton Railway Limited,不是Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation嗎?

‘Amazing Ding Ding’ – contents

‘Amazing Ding Ding’ consists knowledge and delight. Partial contents as below.
One of the turned over accidents of tramway history, happened on 5 October 1983. Tram 113 not only being the first one got fluorescent lighting but also ever earmarked for San Francisco fleet. As 113 was in its modified body until 1991, we have amended the service date of new (current) 113 from Mike Davis’s 1987, to 1991 in the poster.
Phoneically translation is one of the typical features during colonial. Pictured middle reads 「老牌派律」was an old brand “Pirate Cigarettes” in 1920s.
In this route map you can find where the sharpest corner near Naval Terrace locates, and the period that trams reversed running into the depot.
An off-chance shot indicates the effect if trams run the red light – Driving the tram through a section break with the power on causes serious arcing, as seen here with car 105 and can damage the overhead insulator.
A very rare weekly wage sheet issued in 1968 by Hong Kong Tramways, initially published in ‘Amazing Ding Ding’. The welfares during the said period sounds better as to today’s Minimum Wage.

HK120 article


A similar English version on heritage tram 120 which also described in the Chinese book “Amazing Ding Ding”, has published in a UK tramway magazine.

Recalling Diorama 惜景 言情


I’m very impressed on the following Hong Kong Models in John Prentice’s Collection, admired his dedication on recurring the typical views with trams.


This model was built in 00 scale (1:76 – 4mm to 1ft) by John Prentice, modifying a Tramalan white metal kit of a 1950s style tram with scratch built parts. It is of tram 163, the real tram being built in 1979. It is painted in the advertising livery of the Wing On department store as carried in 1981.

Built by John Prentice, this diorama in 00 scale is an impression of what Johnston Road in Hong Kong looked like around 1990. The “Wing On” car 163 and Lung Moon Chinese Restaurant, both have gone in 1991 and 2009. To the left of the scene, in the road next to the taxi, are two tram photographers who represent the model maker and a friend.



This model is of Hong Kong car 145. It was built to 1:16 scale (3/4in to 1ft). It is fully working (24volt DC) and was scratch built by John Prentice from wood and metal as appropriate. This class of tram was built in the 1950s. The tramcar used a Peckham P35 truck and originally was first class on the upper deck and third on the lower but were later one man operated, rear entrance – front exit, as shown on the model, being in the 1970s condition and till present.

The inner of 145 is mostly wood, the lower deck has longitudinal wooden seats, like the originals. The turnstiles are scratch built from metal and turnable. The metal doors also open correctly.



The smallest model on show is this plastic model of tram 38 in N gauge (1:160). It advertises Po Sum On Medicine and the model itself was produced as marketing feature for that company. They were sold by the 80M Bus Model shop in Hong Kong.

More details of tram modelling at

這個1:160的N gauge情景模型,38號電車披上保心安廣告,在80M巴士模型專門店有售,相信是比例最小的了。

Most has been gone or materially changed, only photos are recalling. Yet I hope the old memories can recur one day.


Duties Ended, Thank You 功成身退


The current 1987 cars have been serving for two decades, their duties will be near to the end soonest after the new features were built. The first car is #99.
































HKT 99: Lars F. Richter Photo (LOREN SEBO, 20-FEB-1991, Whitty Street junction)

















Duties ended – goodbye, and thank you.

Trams on Ngo Geng Kiu 電車渡河


An interesting photo in 1920s commonly find in books showing two double-deck tramcars, one with canvas roof and the other one fully enclosed passed by the “bridge”, with a pair of tracks laid underneath.

Most Hong Kongers named it “Ngo Geng Kiu 鵝頸橋” (formerly named Bowrington Bridge, In Cantonese “Ngo Geng” means “gooseneck”) guestimating for its curved outline of the canal, now become a well-known area for “beating the petty person” 打小人 today 1.

The tracks underneath has been a mysterious query on readers and historicans, some argued it’s for trams running but obviously in weak persuation, as the height is not enough for trams even a single-decker. It’s part of the Praya East Reclamation Project, the tracks are for transporting sand and soil removed from Morrison Hill to the waterfront land reclamation.


它是香港人熟悉的「鵝頸橋」(前稱寶靈頓橋),”Ngo Geng”廣東話的意思是鵝頸,橋下是一條運河,它彎曲窄長形如鵝頸,故橫跨此河的橋俗稱「鵝頸橋」。今天成為了著名「打小人」的集中地。


Coincidentally, tha above view shows a track layout being laid in the same area in 1922, which was the main way to Happy Valley and the junction of the depot exit in Russell Street.



1 The Best of Asia 2009 entitled in Time Magazine